Golfing on the Ice | Events
It's too cold to golf and this winter it's almost been too warm to ice fish. But this weekend should be good for ice golf out on Lake Minnetonka. The 28th Annual Chili Open is coming up Saturday, February 11. There are still time slots open for golfers who've been reluctant to sign up early. But if you want to play a round on frozen Lake Minnetonka you have to sign up before tee off. Registration will close February 8 or when all the sports are full.
The Chili Open has a beach party theme this year. It may feel a little less like beach weather by the weekend. 5 Eyewitness News meteorologists are predicting a high of 22 degrees on Saturday.
The Chili Open is an annual winter golf tournament. Golfers head out to Wayzata Bay on Lake Minnetonka and use golf clubs and hockey sticks to putt with tennis balls. There are two 9-hole golf courses set up on the ice.
But it's not just about golf. There is a chili cook off at the 19th hole. Local restaurants compete to see who has the best chili. A live band will entertain golfers and guest. So all hardy Minnesotans who want to enjoy the outdoors are welcome at the Wayzata Chili Open Saturday if they golf or not.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- St. Paul Elem. School Temporarily Shuts Down after Student Discovered with Dummy Grenade
- Portion of I-35E in St. Paul to Close for Bridge Removal, MnPASS Project
- Plan for the Outdoors at the Bird, Buck, Bait and Boat Expo
- Minn. Non-Profit Businesses Advocate to Raise Minimum Wage
- Teen Pleads Guilty to Stealing School Bus in Roseville
- High Hopes for Minn. Medical Marijuana Supporters
- Dramatic Dash Cam Video: Elk River Home Invasion Suspects Lead Officers on Wrong-Way Chase
- Minn. Boy Rescued from Snow Tunnel: 'I Closed My Eyes and Prayed'
- RAW VIDEO: Rogers Police Dash Cam Video from Wrong Way Chase Following Home Invasion
- Rogers Student Suspension Raises Issue of Social Media Consequences