Golfing on the Ice | Events
It's too cold to golf and this winter it's almost been too warm to ice fish. But this weekend should be good for ice golf out on Lake Minnetonka. The 28th Annual Chili Open is coming up Saturday, February 11. There are still time slots open for golfers who've been reluctant to sign up early. But if you want to play a round on frozen Lake Minnetonka you have to sign up before tee off. Registration will close February 8 or when all the sports are full.
The Chili Open has a beach party theme this year. It may feel a little less like beach weather by the weekend. 5 Eyewitness News meteorologists are predicting a high of 22 degrees on Saturday.
The Chili Open is an annual winter golf tournament. Golfers head out to Wayzata Bay on Lake Minnetonka and use golf clubs and hockey sticks to putt with tennis balls. There are two 9-hole golf courses set up on the ice.
But it's not just about golf. There is a chili cook off at the 19th hole. Local restaurants compete to see who has the best chili. A live band will entertain golfers and guest. So all hardy Minnesotans who want to enjoy the outdoors are welcome at the Wayzata Chili Open Saturday if they golf or not.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- St. Paul Schools to Get 65 Propane-Powered Buses
- Coleman Hosts Public Meetings in St. Paul to Address $9.6M Budget Gap
- Report: Minnesota Ranks High for Well-Being of Kids; Improvement Needed
- Coleman Outlines Plans to Help Marketing of Former Ford Assembly Site
- Larpenteur Ave. Bridge Expected to Reopen to Traffic Wednesday
- Sheriff: Big Lake Man Threatened to Shoot Neighbor, Arrested after Standoff
- Sherburne Co. Residents Encouraged to Take Broadband Survey
- Northstar Link to Provide Service for All-Star Game Festivities
- Community Meetings Offer Parents Info, Insight into Sherburne Co. Drug Use
- Zimmerman Man in Critical Condition after Firework Explodes in Hand