Warm Spring Weather Means Fishing Opener May Move Up | News
The Minnesota House voted Tuesday night to change the state's fishing opener this year. They will be moving it up by one week to May 5 because this warm spring has fish, especially walleye, spawning early.
The opener is usually right after fish spawn, normally the second Saturday in May, but our record warm March is throwing everything off.
The Senate has yet to take action on the bill. The Governor's Press Secretary told KSTP they will not change the Governor's Fishing Opener scheduled for May 12 on Lake Waconia. She says too much planning has gone into it to change it at this point.
When asked if the Governor would sign the bill, she said he'd confer with the DNR Commissioner and make a decision.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man Posing as Fake Cop Charged in Shooting at Tom Reid's
- Dorothy Day Center Proposed Location Scrapped
- Minnesota Birds Suffering from Brutal Winter
- Minn. House Votes to Reverse Course on Law Change for Lobbyists Buying Meals for Legislators
- Man Shot on Tom Reid's Patio in St. Paul 'Stabilized,' Suspect Arrested
- High Hopes for Minn. Medical Marijuana Supporters
- Dramatic Dash Cam Video: Elk River Home Invasion Suspects Lead Officers on Wrong-Way Chase
- Minn. Boy Rescued from Snow Tunnel: 'I Closed My Eyes and Prayed'
- RAW VIDEO: Rogers Police Dash Cam Video from Wrong Way Chase Following Home Invasion
- Rogers Student Suspension Raises Issue of Social Media Consequences