Warm Spring Weather Means Fishing Opener May Move Up | News
The Minnesota House voted Tuesday night to change the state's fishing opener this year. They will be moving it up by one week to May 5 because this warm spring has fish, especially walleye, spawning early.
The opener is usually right after fish spawn, normally the second Saturday in May, but our record warm March is throwing everything off.
The Senate has yet to take action on the bill. The Governor's Press Secretary told KSTP they will not change the Governor's Fishing Opener scheduled for May 12 on Lake Waconia. She says too much planning has gone into it to change it at this point.
When asked if the Governor would sign the bill, she said he'd confer with the DNR Commissioner and make a decision.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Severe Weather Awareness Week: Dave Dahl Talks Thunderstorms
- Minn. Dept. of Commerce Works to Protect Senior Citizens from Fraud
- 'Minnesota Nice' in Elk River Helps a Motorcyclist in the Ice
- 2 Acres Burn in Elk River Grass Fire, Officials Investigate Cause
- Bachmann Says She is 'Going to Different Perch'