Mpls. Officers Identified in Fatal Shooting of Allegedly Armed Man | News
The Hennepin County Medical Examiner identified a man shot by Minneapolis Police after wielding a knife at them during a domestic assault call early Saturday.
Minneapolis police were called to an apartment building in the 3000 block of 19th Avenue South around 2:15 a.m. on a report of a domestic assault with a weapon. Police say 911 operators heard someone being told to put down a knife.
When officers arrived at the scene, they heard a woman screaming from a second floor apartment. Two officers who were refused entry into the apartment forced their way inside and were confronted by 40-year-old Delshawn Crawford Sr. with a knife. Police say Crawford approached the officers and did not put the knife down, prompting the officers to fire their weapons.
Crawford died of multiple gunshot wounds.
Police identify the officers involved in the shooting as Officer Laura Turner and Officer Chad Meyer. Turner has been with the department for 15 years and Meyer has been with the department for four years. Both are on three-day administrative leave, a standard procedure.
Investigations are underway by the Minneapolis Police Department's homicide and internal affairs units.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Marijuana Debate Continues with Another Capitol Rally
- Wounded Veteran Given Mortgage-Free Home in Shoreview
- Clergy Members, Doctors Voice Support for Medical Marijuana Legalization
- Ramsey Co. Sheriff's Office Warns of Caller Impersonating Deputy
- 3M Receives Energy Award for 10th Consecutive Year, Hosts Earth Day Celebration
- Severe Weather Awareness Week: Dave Dahl Talks Thunderstorms
- Minn. Dept. of Commerce Works to Protect Senior Citizens from Fraud
- 'Minnesota Nice' in Elk River Helps a Motorcyclist in the Ice
- 2 Acres Burn in Elk River Grass Fire, Officials Investigate Cause
- Bachmann Says She is 'Going to Different Perch'