Mpls. Officers Identified in Fatal Shooting of Allegedly Armed Man | News
The Hennepin County Medical Examiner identified a man shot by Minneapolis Police after wielding a knife at them during a domestic assault call early Saturday.
Minneapolis police were called to an apartment building in the 3000 block of 19th Avenue South around 2:15 a.m. on a report of a domestic assault with a weapon. Police say 911 operators heard someone being told to put down a knife.
When officers arrived at the scene, they heard a woman screaming from a second floor apartment. Two officers who were refused entry into the apartment forced their way inside and were confronted by 40-year-old Delshawn Crawford Sr. with a knife. Police say Crawford approached the officers and did not put the knife down, prompting the officers to fire their weapons.
Crawford died of multiple gunshot wounds.
Police identify the officers involved in the shooting as Officer Laura Turner and Officer Chad Meyer. Turner has been with the department for 15 years and Meyer has been with the department for four years. Both are on three-day administrative leave, a standard procedure.
Investigations are underway by the Minneapolis Police Department's homicide and internal affairs units.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man Shot on Tom Reid's Patio in St. Paul 'Stabilized,' Suspect Arrested
- Portion of I-35E in St. Paul Closes for Bridge Removal, MnPASS Project
- Crews to Work Longer Days on Lowertown Ballpark
- Let's Play Hockey Expo at St. Paul's RiverCentre
- Expect Delays on I-35E in St. Paul, Maplewood with Left Lane Closures in March
- High Hopes for Minn. Medical Marijuana Supporters
- Dramatic Dash Cam Video: Elk River Home Invasion Suspects Lead Officers on Wrong-Way Chase
- Minn. Boy Rescued from Snow Tunnel: 'I Closed My Eyes and Prayed'
- RAW VIDEO: Rogers Police Dash Cam Video from Wrong Way Chase Following Home Invasion
- Rogers Student Suspension Raises Issue of Social Media Consequences