Mpls. Officers Identified in Fatal Shooting of Allegedly Armed Man | News
The Hennepin County Medical Examiner identified a man shot by Minneapolis Police after wielding a knife at them during a domestic assault call early Saturday.
Minneapolis police were called to an apartment building in the 3000 block of 19th Avenue South around 2:15 a.m. on a report of a domestic assault with a weapon. Police say 911 operators heard someone being told to put down a knife.
When officers arrived at the scene, they heard a woman screaming from a second floor apartment. Two officers who were refused entry into the apartment forced their way inside and were confronted by 40-year-old Delshawn Crawford Sr. with a knife. Police say Crawford approached the officers and did not put the knife down, prompting the officers to fire their weapons.
Crawford died of multiple gunshot wounds.
Police identify the officers involved in the shooting as Officer Laura Turner and Officer Chad Meyer. Turner has been with the department for 15 years and Meyer has been with the department for four years. Both are on three-day administrative leave, a standard procedure.
Investigations are underway by the Minneapolis Police Department's homicide and internal affairs units.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Judge Tosses Most Serious Charges in Waseca Foiled Plot
- Sheriff: 14-Year-Old Hospitalized in SW Minn. was Mother of Dead Newborn
- 1 Killed, 1 Injured in Accident at Renville Co. Power Line Work Site
- Mendota Heights Man Fatally Shot after Allegedly Barging into Northern Minn. Home
- Duluth Dips into Dunkin' Donuts; Event in Edina for Potential Franchisees
- Sheriff: Big Lake Man Threatened to Shoot Neighbor, Arrested after Standoff
- Sherburne Co. Residents Encouraged to Take Broadband Survey
- Northstar Link to Provide Service for All-Star Game Festivities
- Community Meetings Offer Parents Info, Insight into Sherburne Co. Drug Use
- Zimmerman Man in Critical Condition after Firework Explodes in Hand