1 House Destroyed, 2nd Damaged after Richfield Fire | News
A firefighter was treated for heat exposure after a large fire that destroyed one home and damaged another in Richfield Sunday afternoon. The billowing smoke could be seen from as far away as Lakeville.
Richfield fire officials say the call came in just before 3 p.m. on Sunday of three people and two pets trapped inside a home on the 7500 block of Logan Ave., just southwest of Richfield Middle School. By the time crews arrived they say everyone, except the pets were out.
A hundred or more people watched from a parking lot across the street, as crews from nine agencies worked to knock down the fire.
Neighbors reported hearing an explosion noise coming from the garage, but officials have not determined where or how the fire started. At one point flames were shooting from the roof, as well as a detached garage behind it and a large tree in the back yard. The fire spread to a house next door leaving significant damage. A fence separating the home from the house on the opposite side melted.
One pet died in the fire, but a second dog was resuscitated, given oxygen and taken to an emergency pet hospital. Fire crews credit a special training they received called Basic Animal Rescue Training for saving the dog.
Crews from Richfield, Bloomington, Edina, Minneapolis, St. Louis Park, Eden Prairie, Hennepin County EMS, Metropolitan Airports Commission and West Metro responded to the call. Crews rotated out for water breaks as they battled the flames in the hot weather.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Judge Tosses Most Serious Charges in Waseca Foiled Plot
- Sheriff: 14-Year-Old Hospitalized in SW Minn. was Mother of Dead Newborn
- 1 Killed, 1 Injured in Accident at Renville Co. Power Line Work Site
- Mendota Heights Man Fatally Shot after Allegedly Barging into Northern Minn. Home
- Duluth Dips into Dunkin' Donuts; Event in Edina for Potential Franchisees
- Sheriff: Big Lake Man Threatened to Shoot Neighbor, Arrested after Standoff
- Sherburne Co. Residents Encouraged to Take Broadband Survey
- Northstar Link to Provide Service for All-Star Game Festivities
- Community Meetings Offer Parents Info, Insight into Sherburne Co. Drug Use
- Zimmerman Man in Critical Condition after Firework Explodes in Hand