1 House Destroyed, 2nd Damaged after Richfield Fire | News
A firefighter was treated for heat exposure after a large fire that destroyed one home and damaged another in Richfield Sunday afternoon. The billowing smoke could be seen from as far away as Lakeville.
Richfield fire officials say the call came in just before 3 p.m. on Sunday of three people and two pets trapped inside a home on the 7500 block of Logan Ave., just southwest of Richfield Middle School. By the time crews arrived they say everyone, except the pets were out.
A hundred or more people watched from a parking lot across the street, as crews from nine agencies worked to knock down the fire.
Neighbors reported hearing an explosion noise coming from the garage, but officials have not determined where or how the fire started. At one point flames were shooting from the roof, as well as a detached garage behind it and a large tree in the back yard. The fire spread to a house next door leaving significant damage. A fence separating the home from the house on the opposite side melted.
One pet died in the fire, but a second dog was resuscitated, given oxygen and taken to an emergency pet hospital. Fire crews credit a special training they received called Basic Animal Rescue Training for saving the dog.
Crews from Richfield, Bloomington, Edina, Minneapolis, St. Louis Park, Eden Prairie, Hennepin County EMS, Metropolitan Airports Commission and West Metro responded to the call. Crews rotated out for water breaks as they battled the flames in the hot weather.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Clergy Members, Doctors Voice Support for Medical Marijuana Legalization
- Ramsey Co. Sheriff's Office Warns of Caller Impersonating Deputy
- 3M Receives Energy Award for 10th Consecutive Year, Hosts Earth Day Celebration
- Lafayette Bridge Construction to Close Sections of I-94 This Weekend
- Wild Playoff Games Equal Big Business Along West 7th Street
- Minn. Dept. of Commerce Works to Protect Senior Citizens from Fraud
- Severe Weather Awareness Week: Dave Dahl Talks Thunderstorms
- 'Minnesota Nice' in Elk River Helps a Motorcyclist in the Ice
- 2 Acres Burn in Elk River Grass Fire, Officials Investigate Cause
- Bachmann Says She is 'Going to Different Perch'