More Renters Than Owners in Marcy Holmes Neighborhood | News
The chiming of church bells is apart of the charm of the Marcy Holmes neighborhood. But the sounds of a hauler carrying wood or the thump of a hammer is now a common occurrence in the area.
Doug Carlson is the president of the Marcy Holmes Neighborhood Association. He has lived in the community since the late 60s. It was a time when this section of the city was heavily Ukrainian and homes were owner occupied. change is inevitable. there are now more renters than home owners. Carlson says, he welcomes the change.
"Essentially more people bring more amenities. But you have to manage development so that it is done well," Carlson said.
The growth and transformation of this neighborhood is largely tied to the university. The more people who attend the university, the more housing they need. there are approximately 28,700 undergraduates this semester. 6,300 of them live in campus housing. This means 22,400 undergraduates live off campus.
If you drive through the neighborhood construction sites for apartments are a plenty.
"Since about eight or nine have already been built and there's 8 or 9 in the planning or construction stage now, that is surprising," Carlson said.
James Rogers and Kate Vondercheck walk through the neighborhood they have lived in since college. He as a home owner and she as a renter.
They both believe the students should be empowered to own homes.
"It's something about home ownership, being able to establish this is the way we live in this neighborhood," Vondercheck said.
Findng a place to live in the neighborhood is difficult. Carlson says, they are currently at one percent vacancy rate.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man Shot on Tom Reid's Patio in St. Paul 'Stabilized,' Suspect Arrested
- Portion of I-35E in St. Paul Closes for Bridge Removal, MnPASS Project
- Crews to Work Longer Days on Lowertown Ballpark
- Let's Play Hockey Expo at St. Paul's RiverCentre
- Expect Delays on I-35E in St. Paul, Maplewood with Left Lane Closures in March
- High Hopes for Minn. Medical Marijuana Supporters
- Dramatic Dash Cam Video: Elk River Home Invasion Suspects Lead Officers on Wrong-Way Chase
- Minn. Boy Rescued from Snow Tunnel: 'I Closed My Eyes and Prayed'
- RAW VIDEO: Rogers Police Dash Cam Video from Wrong Way Chase Following Home Invasion
- Rogers Student Suspension Raises Issue of Social Media Consequences