Mpls Police Chief Talks Officer-Involved Shooting, Deadly Crash | News
Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau released details Wednesday about the deadly chain of events in Uptown that left two people dead and two police officers injured.
A burglary suspect was shot and killed Friday during an altercation with two officers, who were shot in the legs.
A police vehicle responding 30-plus minutes after the shooting collided with a motorcyclist, killing the driver, 24-year-old Ivan Romero, and injuring his passenger.
Harteau says a police vehicle went through a red light when it collided with a motorcycle last week, killing the motorcycle driver and injuring his passenger.
She told reporters the police vehicle had slowed to 16 to 17 mph. Harteau says the officer who was driving has not given a statement yet.
The Minnesota State Patrol will investigate the squad-motorcycle reconstruction.
Also Wednesday, the Hennepin County Medical Examiner sent out an updated time of death for the suspect in the officer-involved shooting.
Terrance Franklin was injured at 3:30 p.m. Friday, and died at 3:35 p.m.
His death was ruled a homicide caused by multiple gunshot wounds.
Franklin's family says he was a good father, son and brother. They remember him as a poet who had plans to go to college.
"We miss him just like any other family... We deserve justice, we want the bottom, we want to get to the bottom of this," said Franklin's sister Jasmine Mitchell.
Mitchell says the family is still looking for answers from police.
"If they have evidence, bring it. If they know what they did was the right thing, say it. Come out and do it," Mitchell said.
Click here to watch raw video of Wednesday's news conference.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Marijuana Debate Continues with another Capitol Rally
- Clergy Members, Doctors Voice Support for Medical Marijuana Legalization
- Ramsey Co. Sheriff's Office Warns of Caller Impersonating Deputy
- 3M Receives Energy Award for 10th Consecutive Year, Hosts Earth Day Celebration
- Lafayette Bridge Construction to Close Sections of I-94 This Weekend
- Minn. Dept. of Commerce Works to Protect Senior Citizens from Fraud
- Severe Weather Awareness Week: Dave Dahl Talks Thunderstorms
- 'Minnesota Nice' in Elk River Helps a Motorcyclist in the Ice
- 2 Acres Burn in Elk River Grass Fire, Officials Investigate Cause
- Bachmann Says She is 'Going to Different Perch'