Mpls Father of Son Who Fatally Shot Brother Faces Prison | News
A jury has found a Minneapolis father guilty of manslaughter and child endangerment after one of his sons accidentally shot and killed his younger brother.
Kao Xiong was convicted Friday in Hennepin County District Court of two felony counts of second-degree manslaughter and two gross misdemeanor counts of child endangerment.
Xiong's family declined to comment on the verdict Friday at court.
"This is a terrible, terrible tragedy, and eminently preventable," said Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman.
Xiong's elder son, age 4, shot and killed his 2-year-old brother, Neejnco Xiong, on Dec. 5 after finding the gun in a bed between the headboard and the mattress at their home in the Riverside neighborhood, according to a criminal complaint.
The safety was missing on the gun, according to the complaint. Police found a total of eight guns in the home.
"He looked at me after they reached the verdict, and he looked at me and said, 'I'm sorry,'" said Steve Meshbesher, Xiong's defense attorney.
Xiong told police that he and his wife were getting ready for lunch when they heard a gunshot, according to the complaint. Xiong went upstairs and found his 2-year-old son with a gunshot wound and his 4-year-old son under the bed.
Neejnco died in an ambulance shortly after he was shot.
Xiong was found not guilty of a third count of child endangerment. His sentencing is scheduled for June 27.
Freeman said Xiong will likely face no more than four years in prison.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- University of Minnesota Hopes Bonding Bill will Continue Study of Invasive Species
- Pothole Locations can be Sent by Text to the City of Maplewood
- US New & World Report: Hamline University Best Law School in Minn.
- Victim Killed Overnight in Fight ID'd as St. Paul Man
- Greyhound Bus Service Now Offered from St. Paul Union Depot
- 2 Teenage Boys Sent to Hospital after Being Hit by Truck in Sherburne Co.
- High Hopes for Minn. Medical Marijuana Supporters
- Dramatic Dash Cam Video: Elk River Home Invasion Suspects Lead Officers on Wrong-Way Chase
- Minn. Boy Rescued from Snow Tunnel: 'I Closed My Eyes and Prayed'
- RAW VIDEO: Rogers Police Dash Cam Video from Wrong Way Chase Following Home Invasion