Mpls Father of Son Who Fatally Shot Brother Faces Prison | News
A jury has found a Minneapolis father guilty of manslaughter and child endangerment after one of his sons accidentally shot and killed his younger brother.
Kao Xiong was convicted Friday in Hennepin County District Court of two felony counts of second-degree manslaughter and two gross misdemeanor counts of child endangerment.
Xiong's family declined to comment on the verdict Friday at court.
"This is a terrible, terrible tragedy, and eminently preventable," said Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman.
Xiong's elder son, age 4, shot and killed his 2-year-old brother, Neejnco Xiong, on Dec. 5 after finding the gun in a bed between the headboard and the mattress at their home in the Riverside neighborhood, according to a criminal complaint.
The safety was missing on the gun, according to the complaint. Police found a total of eight guns in the home.
"He looked at me after they reached the verdict, and he looked at me and said, 'I'm sorry,'" said Steve Meshbesher, Xiong's defense attorney.
Xiong told police that he and his wife were getting ready for lunch when they heard a gunshot, according to the complaint. Xiong went upstairs and found his 2-year-old son with a gunshot wound and his 4-year-old son under the bed.
Neejnco died in an ambulance shortly after he was shot.
Xiong was found not guilty of a third count of child endangerment. His sentencing is scheduled for June 27.
Freeman said Xiong will likely face no more than four years in prison.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Meeting Reviews Surveillance Footage of St. Paul Skyway Arrest
- Around 2,000 Items Turned in Every Year to State Fair's Lost and Found
- With Records Set, 2014 Minnesota State Fair Comes to a Close
- Woman Hit, Killed by Green Line Train in St. Paul
- St. Paul Police Sources: City Employees Tied to Gangs Disrupt Work
- Woman Airlifted with Severe Burns after Escaping House Fire in Sherburne Co.
- 23-Year-Old Man Dies in Suspected Drowning in Sherburne County
- Sheriff: Big Lake Man Threatened to Shoot Neighbor, Arrested after Standoff
- Sherburne Co. Residents Encouraged to Take Broadband Survey
- Northstar Link to Provide Service for All-Star Game Festivities