Mpls Father of Son Who Fatally Shot Brother Faces Prison | News
A jury has found a Minneapolis father guilty of manslaughter and child endangerment after one of his sons accidentally shot and killed his younger brother.
Kao Xiong was convicted Friday in Hennepin County District Court of two felony counts of second-degree manslaughter and two gross misdemeanor counts of child endangerment.
Xiong's family declined to comment on the verdict Friday at court.
"This is a terrible, terrible tragedy, and eminently preventable," said Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman.
Xiong's elder son, age 4, shot and killed his 2-year-old brother, Neejnco Xiong, on Dec. 5 after finding the gun in a bed between the headboard and the mattress at their home in the Riverside neighborhood, according to a criminal complaint.
The safety was missing on the gun, according to the complaint. Police found a total of eight guns in the home.
"He looked at me after they reached the verdict, and he looked at me and said, 'I'm sorry,'" said Steve Meshbesher, Xiong's defense attorney.
Xiong told police that he and his wife were getting ready for lunch when they heard a gunshot, according to the complaint. Xiong went upstairs and found his 2-year-old son with a gunshot wound and his 4-year-old son under the bed.
Neejnco died in an ambulance shortly after he was shot.
Xiong was found not guilty of a third count of child endangerment. His sentencing is scheduled for June 27.
Freeman said Xiong will likely face no more than four years in prison.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Appeal Planned in Dismissal of Waseca School Plot Charges
- St. Cloud Police Look for Suspect of Hotel Robbery
- Duluth Woman Gets Creative to Pay for Maternity Leave
- Mississippi River Shuts Down 8 Miles to Commercial Traffic
- Prosecutors: Itasca Co. Kidnapper Wanted to Talk with Ex about 'Being a Good Parent'
- Officials Find St. Paul Treatment Center at Fault after Resident Suffers Frostbite
- Woman Shot in St. Paul's Payne Phalen Neighborhood
- Roseville Pawn America Robbery Suspect Arrested in Georgia
- 1 of 4 Indicted in St. Paul Drug Cartel House Pleads Guilty
- Passersby Rescue Woman, Baby from St. Paul Duplex Arson
- Sheriff: Big Lake Man Threatened to Shoot Neighbor, Arrested after Standoff
- Sherburne Co. Residents Encouraged to Take Broadband Survey
- Northstar Link to Provide Service for All-Star Game Festivities
- Community Meetings Offer Parents Info, Insight into Sherburne Co. Drug Use
- Zimmerman Man in Critical Condition after Firework Explodes in Hand