U Experts Give Tips on Keeping Mosquitoes Away | News
More mosquitoes are buzzing around Minnesota this summer.
Heavy rainfall and more moisture in the environment has led to more mosquito breeding grounds, reported the University of Minnesota Extension program.
"Repellent is a good first line of defense," said U entomologist Jeff Hahn in a statement. He recommends using sprays, such as DEET or picaridin on your body and clothes. Also, covering your skin with long sleeves and long pants is an effective method of preventing bites.
Alternative and homemade methods of mosquito prevention are minimally effective - if at all, Hahn said. Citronella candles, ultrasound repellents or insect zappers will not reduce the amount of bites you get outside, even if you catch a few mosquitos, he said.
Mosquitoes can carry diseases, such as the West Nile virus. Last year, there were 70 cases of the virus in Minnesota, according to the Minnesota Department of Health.
Mosquito larvae live in small pools of water.
Here are some tips to preventing the bugs from taking over your yard:
- Mosquitos avoid direct sunlight. Avoid the outdoors during the early morning, night and on cloudy days.
- Drain small child pools, clogged gutters and other small pools of water in your yard, which can turn into breeding grounds.
- Put a thin layer of vegetable oil on water that cannot be drained, such as rain buckets and bird baths, to suffocate the larvae and stop mosquitoes from breeding.
- Keep weeds and grass from getting tall.
- Protect your skin when you're outside.
- Click here for more information about mosquitos.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Little Canada Man Charged after Allegedly Pushing Man into Oncoming Traffic, Killing Him
- Ramsey Co. Sheriff: Ty Hoffman is Likely Using Social Media
- FBI Searches for St. Paul Armed Bank Robber
- First Day of Minnesota State Fair a Hot One
- Authorities: Man Dies after being Pushed into Path of Oncoming Car in Little Canada
- Sheriff: Big Lake Man Threatened to Shoot Neighbor, Arrested after Standoff
- Sherburne Co. Residents Encouraged to Take Broadband Survey
- Northstar Link to Provide Service for All-Star Game Festivities
- Community Meetings Offer Parents Info, Insight into Sherburne Co. Drug Use
- Zimmerman Man in Critical Condition after Firework Explodes in Hand