Minnesota Entrepreneurs Grow with Crowdfunding | News
The rules have been lifted in regard to how entrepreneurs can go about funding future growth.
What was once a secretive process with closed door meetings is now being opened up for all to see thanks to changes to the law and the growth in crowdfunding sites.
For instance, Truhealth MD, a St. Louis Park start up, has already crowdfunded $5,000 toward its $150,000 goal. The company makes a line of nutritional products that aim to fill nutritional gaps and reduce the dependency people have on medication to fight heart diseases and other other ailments.
The financial benefits are obvious but there are also some concerns companies and investors should be aware of before crowdfunding.
Attorneys warn anyone crowdfunding more than $250,000 will be required to comply with costly auditing and disclosure requirements. Additionally, investors will want to weigh the upside potential of a given investment against the degree to which crowdfunding might distract company founders from growing their businesses.
TiE Minnesota, which fosters entrepreneurship globally, is partnering with the Schulze School of Entrepreneurship at the University of St. Thomas to sponsor a panel discussion on the topic of crowdfunding.
Investors and entrepreneurs are invited to attend the event Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Appeal Planned in Dismissal of Waseca School Plot Charges
- St. Cloud Police Look for Suspect of Hotel Robbery
- Duluth Woman Gets Creative to Pay for Maternity Leave
- Mississippi River Shuts Down 8 Miles to Commercial Traffic
- Prosecutors: Itasca Co. Kidnapper Wanted to Talk with Ex about 'Being a Good Parent'
- Officials Find St. Paul Treatment Center at Fault after Resident Suffers Frostbite
- Woman Shot in St. Paul's Payne Phalen Neighborhood
- Roseville Pawn America Robbery Suspect Arrested in Georgia
- 1 of 4 Indicted in St. Paul Drug Cartel House Pleads Guilty
- Passersby Rescue Woman, Baby from St. Paul Duplex Arson
- Sheriff: Big Lake Man Threatened to Shoot Neighbor, Arrested after Standoff
- Sherburne Co. Residents Encouraged to Take Broadband Survey
- Northstar Link to Provide Service for All-Star Game Festivities
- Community Meetings Offer Parents Info, Insight into Sherburne Co. Drug Use
- Zimmerman Man in Critical Condition after Firework Explodes in Hand