Thieves Steal Mpls. Manhole Cover and Sewer Grates | News
Scrap metal thieves are taking to the streets in Minneapolis – literally.
Minneapolis police say an officer noticed a manhole cover missing from the middle of University Avenue near 35W just before noon on Sunday. Police say roughly 8 to 12 storm sewer grates have also recently gone missing.
Police believe thieves are turning them in for scrap metal, but local recyclers don't believe that's the case saying no company would knowingly buy a manhole cover or sewer grate unless it came from a city or municipality.Police say in some cases the thefts may pose an imminent public safety risk or traffic hazard and urge the public to call 9-1-1 immediately if they spot missing covers or grates.
Originally reported by KSTP.com community reporter Shelley Leeson.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Standout Mankato Football Player Charged in Shooting near Renaissance Festival
- Key Lawmakers say 'No' to Idea for ATV Park Using Legacy Tax Money
- Byron Smith Fights Restitution to Teens' Families, Breaks Down in Court
- Inmate Dies in Stearns County Jail
- Report: Minnesota Dance Coach Fired over Hazing Incident
- Woman Airlifted with Severe Burns after Escaping House Fire in Sherburne Co.
- 23-Year-Old Man Dies in Suspected Drowning in Sherburne County
- Sheriff: Big Lake Man Threatened to Shoot Neighbor, Arrested after Standoff
- Sherburne Co. Residents Encouraged to Take Broadband Survey
- Northstar Link to Provide Service for All-Star Game Festivities