Ten Twin Cities High Schools Tops in College-Ready Challenge | News
Metro area high schools are rated among the top 10 in Minnesota in a national survey.
The Washington Post's annual High School Challenge has ranked Southwest number one among public schools in Minnesota and number 112 among more than 1900 public schools across the country.
But it also gave high rankings to three comprehensive high schools in the Twin Cities--Edina, Eastview in Apple Valley and Mahtomedi high schools.
The others in the top 10 in Minnesota are International Baccalaureate Schools: St. Louis Park High School, Central High School in St. Paul, South High School in Minneapolis, Minnetonka High School, Robbinsdale Armstrong in Plymouth, and Lakeville North in Lakeville.
The Challenge Index honors schools that have done the best job in persuading students to take college-level courses and tests.
The schools are ranked by dividing the number of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and Advanced International Certificate of Education tests given at the school in a year, by the number of graduating seniors.
Those tests give students a chance to experience exams similar to those they will experience in college and research shows these students--whether they get high scores or not--do significantly better in college than similar students who didn't take such rigorous courses.
Only 7 percent of some 27,000 American public high schools reached that standard.
The top rated school in the country is the Science/Engineering Magnet School in Dallas, Texas.
For more information, click here.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man Shot on Tom Reid's Patio in St. Paul 'Stabilized,' Suspect Arrested
- Portion of I-35E in St. Paul Closes for Bridge Removal, MnPASS Project
- Crews to Work Longer Days on Lowertown Ballpark
- Let's Play Hockey Expo at St. Paul's RiverCentre
- Expect Delays on I-35E in St. Paul, Maplewood with Left Lane Closures in March
- High Hopes for Minn. Medical Marijuana Supporters
- Dramatic Dash Cam Video: Elk River Home Invasion Suspects Lead Officers on Wrong-Way Chase
- Minn. Boy Rescued from Snow Tunnel: 'I Closed My Eyes and Prayed'
- RAW VIDEO: Rogers Police Dash Cam Video from Wrong Way Chase Following Home Invasion
- Rogers Student Suspension Raises Issue of Social Media Consequences