Poll: Majority of Minnesotans Support Spending on SW Light Rail Line | Politics
Three Twin Cities Chambers of Commerce released the results of a poll Tuesday that they say shows statewide support for a light rail line in the southwest metro.
The Minneapolis Regional Chamber of Commerce, Saint Paul Area Chamber of Commerce, and TwinWest Chamber of Commerce hired Public Opinion Strategies to conduct the poll. The pollster contacted 700 Minnesota voters in January.
This is the question asked:
"Now, a proposal is being considered that would dedicate 25 million dollars in already planned state spending to move forward with the Southwest Light Rail line that would extend from Minneapolis to Eden Prairie and connect to the other three existing rail lines. These funds would help the state secure an additional 625 million dollars in federal matching funds that combined with planned state and local spending could build the new rail line. Knowing this, would you support or oppose dedicating 25 million dollars in state funds to move forward with the Southwest Light Rail line?"
Statewide, 61% of those polled said they'd support the funding, 33% said they'd oppose it, and 6% said they were undecided.
In Hennepin and Ramsey counties, 69% said they'd support the funding. In the outer suburbs, 59% said they'd support it.
To read the complete poll report, click here.
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- St. Paul Schools Get 66 Propane-Powered Buses
- Roseville Police Release Images of Suspects in Pawn America Robbery, Shooting
- Coleman Hosts Public Meetings in St. Paul to Address $9.6M Budget Gap
- Report: Minnesota Ranks High for Well-Being of Kids; Improvement Needed
- Coleman Outlines Plans to Help Marketing of Former Ford Assembly Site
- Sheriff: Big Lake Man Threatened to Shoot Neighbor, Arrested after Standoff
- Sherburne Co. Residents Encouraged to Take Broadband Survey
- Northstar Link to Provide Service for All-Star Game Festivities
- Community Meetings Offer Parents Info, Insight into Sherburne Co. Drug Use
- Zimmerman Man in Critical Condition after Firework Explodes in Hand