School Supply Drives Hosted Throughout the Metro | Schools
According to the Huntington Bank Backpack Index, the cost of school supplies is skyrocketing.
Their recent report shows parents can spend an average of $385.26 per elementary student, $551.81 per middle school student, and $911.95 per high school student each school year. Those costs represent a year-to-year increase of 12 percent, 25 percent and 9 percent, respectively.
To help parents with these costs, some communities and organizations are hosting School Supplies Drives throughout the Twin Cities. We compiled a list of school drives for you last month, but here are places that still are accepting donations for those in need:
The Caring Tree is launching their annual back-to-school campaign though Aug. 18. Organizers say that since the campaign started back in 1993, they have helped nearly 192,000 students get school supplies.
The campaign is based mainly off of donations. You can mail in financial contributions to The Caring Tree at 8120 Penn Avenue South, Suite 464, in Bloomington.
The nonprofit Interfaith Outreach and Community Partners (IOCP) is hosting their annual back-to-school drive from Aug. 1-19.
According to IOCP volunteers, approximately 600 kids get the supplies they need each year, and their annual drive helps them affordably collect these supplies by asking for community donations.
The drive runs Aug. 1-19. Donations can be dropped off any time from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the IOCP's new facility in Plymouth, located at 1605 County Road 101 North.
Donations can also be dropped off at any of these community locations:
• Bob's Shoe Repair in Wayzata
• The Marsh in Minnetonka
• M&I Bank in Wayzata
• Salon Entourage in Wayzata
• Voyager Bank in Minnetonka
• West Financial Credit Union in Plymouth
Blaine and Brooklyn Park:
Blaine is joining communities around Minnesota for Night to Unite to increase crime prevention awareness and build a strong community.
The city also uses the evening to promote a school supply drive for the Community Emergency Assistance Program, enabling local disadvantaged students to begin the school year with proper supplies.
Every year CEAP hosts a Back to School program, matching children in need in Anoka County, Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, and East Champlin with grade appropriate school supplies to help them in the coming year. All donations are needed by Aug. 19, 2011
CEAP’s locations are 6840 78th Ave N in Brooklyn Park and 1201 89th Ave NE Ste 130 in Blaine.
"Operation Backpack" drop-off locations are open until Monday August 22nd.
All drives are located at the following Panera Bread locations: Hours are Mon–Sat: 6:00.am. – 9:00p.m., Sun: 7:00a.m. – 8:00p.m. Just scroll down to find a location near you:
- Apple Valley: 15052 Gleason Path, (952) 891-4664
- Brooklyn Center: 6064 Shingle Creek Pkwy, (763) 561-1000
- Burnsville Center: 901 County Rd 42 W., (952) 435-8837
- Coon Rapids: 12465 Riverdale Blvd NW, (763) 421-1200
- Eagan: 1260 Promenade Pl., (651) 405-0304
- Eden Prairie Center: 251 Flying Cloud Dr., (952) 944-1750
- Edina: 3345 Hazelton Rd., (952) 835-7825
- Elk River: 18210 Zane St NW, (763) 274-2945
- Hastings: 1828 Market Blvd, (651) 437-0075
- Maple Grove: 7778 Main St N., (763) 416-0436
- Maplewood: 2515 White Bear Ave N., (651) 777-8150
- Minneapolis: Nicollet Mall: 809 Nicollet Mall, (612) 338-9850
- Minnetonka: 12967 Ridgedale Drive, (952) 546-1010
- Plymouth: 16875 County Rd 24, (763) 551-0954
- Rosedale Shopping Ctr: 817 Rosedale Ctr, (651) 288-1015
- Shakopee: 8062 Old Carriage Ct, (952) 445-8705
- St. Cloud: 2801 W Division St., (320) 656-9650
- St. Louis Park: Excelsior on Grand, 3808 Grand Way, (952) 922-2066; Knollwood Mall, 8332 Hwy 7, ( 952) 933-1600; Park Place, 5680 Cedar Lake Road, (952) 417-9709
- Vadnais Heights: 959 County Rd E., (651) 765-2619
- West St. Paul: 1750 South Robert St., (651) 457-1230
Contact Kristin Cook from "operation backpack, if you have questions by calling 952-945-4039, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Events near Hennepin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Winter Carnival Committee to Unveil Buttons Saturday at Dixie's on Grand
- MADD Hosts Vigil to Honor Victims and Survivors of Alcohol-Related Crashes
- St. Paul Winter Carnival Buttons Unveiled
- Man in Custody After Firing Shots at Police in St. Paul
- e-Field Trip Helps White Bear Lake Students Log More Hours of Physical Activity